Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Ancient Apostolic Anointing

On September 16, 2009 I wrote a little blog inspired by Luke 18 and a sermon I heard about the ancient apostolic anointing. After hearing that sermon I read about Christ reading from Isaiah about himself and his mission here on earth. This morning I was reading in Exodus about God's call to Moses. I am very interested in the "name" that God gives himself. But in the process of studying that I noticed that the Septuagint (LXX) uses the word "apostle" when God tell Moses he is going to send him to Egypt and to his people. In the Latin Vulgate the word "sent" is from mittare the verb meaning to send. It is where we get the word missionary from. Missionaries are sent to a certain peoples. Moses was sent to the sons of Israel. Jesus was sent to me and you. The simple point I am making is that Moses falls into this category of ancient apostolic anointing. He came to set the captives free and proclaim liberty to those in bondage. Moses could have read from Isaiah in that synagogue also. In fact I think at one point Moses and Elijah appeared to Christ on the Mount (Luke 9). Point being Moses was a part of that ancient apostolic anointing. I wonder how many of us have been "sent" into this earth by God under this same anointing? It may be more than I realize. Although in Matthew we are reminded that "many are called, but few are chosen." polloi… ga◊r ei∆sin klhtoi√, ojli√goi de… e∆klektoi√. Matthew 22:14. I am not sure what that all means except it does say that many are called, but (could be and) few are chosen. Is it up to us to choose? Was there more than one burning bush and only Moses "turned aside"? Here the word "choosen" can mean "elect". This is getting into deep Calvin waters and I elect or choose to stop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment