Friday, December 31, 2010

The Shepherd's Call

      I was reading a web page written by a shepherd of Icelandic Sheep. He actually raised Icelandic Sheep in Virginia. He was under the considered opinion that sheep are not that discerning when figuring out what their names are or what exactly the shepherd is saying. According to him the naming of sheep is quite an art form and a complicated industry. Even so, he goes on to say, the sheep are very responsive when the shepherd calls. It does not seem to matter what animal or name he uses when he calls. This particular owner claims they, the sheep, come running when he calls "kttty, kitty, kitty", at the cat's feeding time, or if he whistles in the pasture for the horses. The sheep "hear his voice" and know the sound of it, but they may not  be that discerning about what he is saying.
          This guy had a complicated system for naming his sheep. Jacob I am sure had some thoughtful systematics too. Knowing the names of the sheep is the shepherd's responsibility.  It may be for the shepherd who is responsible before God that he knows the sheep's name, but is it the main issue for us, His sheep? Do we need to know if God knows our names? The Icelandic shepherd still will take care of his sheep, even if they don't know their names. So whats the dif?
        I have to admit it is disturbing to me that the sheep, according to this Icelandic sheep herder, don't know their names. I am sure he is wrong and just  has not invested the time to get to know his sheep.  There are two reasons I know he is wrong. (1) John 10:3 clearly states that the "good shepherd" knows his sheep by name and calls them by name,  τὰ ἴδια πρόβατα φωνεῖ κατ’ ὄνομα,  and they follow him. Jesus knows His sheep by name and he calls them (us) by name and they follow.
   (2) Years ago I heard a preacher say that every Christian should stay on his/her knees until she/he hears the Lord call him/her by name. Now that struck me as something I wanted. I searched the scriptures to see if God called people by name, and He does. He does it in the OT and the NT. So I spent a lot of time on my knees, mostly, falling asleep  until one day I heard Him call my name, "Doug". I have had that experience many times since. I know He knows his sheep by name and calls to them. I know because I heard him!
       "My sheep hear my voice, and I call them by name they follow me." There is a quality that is in sheep that wants to follow their shepherd. This quality is very important. Once He has named you, you belong to Him and are responsible to follow Him. His name becomes greater in our lives as we realize we are His sheep. Then His name is honored about every other name. To me His name is the one I enthrone as my Lord.  John Stevens in an article that he wrote called To Be A Christian said, "It (being a Christian) means that I honor His name above every other name, and place obedience to Him above every other obligation...It is His responsibility to lead, my to follow."
     A dear Christian friend of mine just had his 60th birthday. At his party he said the most important thing now for him was letting Him (Christ) lead. His days of independence, were over. This was an eye opener. This guy to my estimation has always had a close walk with God. It reminded me of what Christ told Peter about how to shepherd the sheep. When you were younger you went where you wished. You are older now and another will gird and take you where you would not (John 21:18). A good shepherd is a lead sheep. Learning to follow is prerequisite to leading. Christ said "Ego eimi" the good shepherd. He was because he followed the Father in perfected obedience. He did what the Father told him to do and said what the father told him to say. I would like to develop that instinctive ear that responds positively to the shepherds voice no matter what His voice is actually saying and follow Him even if it is where I would not have gone before. I want to be responsive when the shepherd calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment