Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Au and Ag

In Acts 3 Luke tells us the story of Peter and John going up to the temple to pray. They try to pass by a man that had been crippled from birth. The man asks for alms and Peter says that famous line translated best in the KJV, "silver and gold have I none but what I have I give you, In the name of Jesus Christ standup and walk. .. And he went walking and leaping and praising God." Great visuals because of the poetical translation are involved in this story. As I was reading it one morning before I was to teach my chemistry class, I noted that the original Greek has "silver and gold I do not have". I looked up my Vulgate and there were the periodic symbols for Gold and Silver, Au and Ag. Actually the symbols come from the Latin argentum et aurum. This gave me an excuse to read the section at the being of Chemistry. Fortunately I teach Bible to the same kids. As an aside this is one case where the poetry of King James is lost in the modern translation. The Message Bible says" I don't have a nickel to my name, but in the name...." At least it could say dime and get the metal correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment